Tuesday, November 22, 2005

the background story

Graeme and I met in 1994 when I started going to the same high school as him. In January 1998, after being close friends for a year or so, we started going out. We finished school and went to university for a Bachelor's degree each, he as a computer nerd, me as an industrial designer. We were married in April 2003, having finished our degrees and ready to be adults :) Since before then we have talked about going to England for a couple years on a working holiday, but we kept putting it off. In 2004 I went back to uni and obtained my teaching qualifications. This made us both totally employable in pretty much any English-speaking country in the world.

I didn't get a permanent teaching job straight out of uni, for various frustrating reasons I will not go into here, but have managed to be steadily employed as a teacher for most of the year. It turns out I could have work for the future as well, but that is all null and void now, since we agreed it was finally time to just decide we were going and make the move to England.

The plan was still to just go for a couple of years on the working holiday and if we really loved it to see if there was any way of staying. So Graeme went in and told his boss. To put it briefly, he has been offered work in their London office, which means they are (hopefully) in the process of applying for a work permit. So in 11 weeks, we fly to London. We don't know how long we'll be gone, I don't know what I'll do while we're over there (probably teach, at least to begin with) and we don't yet know where we're going to live.

But we're going… and you will be able to read about our adventures here...


Kate

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home